The CAF Africa Cup of Nations Côte d'Ivoire 2023 kicked off with an exciting first weekend, showcasing surprising results and underdog triumphs. Unpredictable starts, thrilling moments! Dive into the action-packed first weekend of #AFCON2023. From late penalties to underdog victories, African football is delivering surprises!
- Côte d'Ivoire secured a convincing 2-0 victory against Guinea-Bissau, with goals from Seko Fofana and Jean-Philippe Krasso.
- Nigeria faced a tough challenge, drawing 1-1 against Equatorial Guinea. Victor Osimhen scored for Nigeria, but Equatorial Guinea held firm.
- Egypt, led by star player Mohamed Salah, struggled against Mozambique, salvaging a late 2-2 draw with Salah's penalty. Mostafa Mohamed and Mo Salah had earlier scored for Egypt.
- Cape Verde surprised everyone with a 2-1 win over four-time champion Ghana. Jamiro Monteiro and Garry Rodrigues secured the victory, making it Cape Verde's fourth consecutive successful opening game in the Africa Cup.
- Salah's late penalty saved Egypt from a potential loss to Mozambique, denying Mozambique its first-ever tournament win.
- Nigeria's Osimhen faced missed opportunities as Equatorial Guinea held on for a draw, putting Nigeria under pressure for the upcoming matches.
- Cape Verde's Garry Rodrigues scored a dramatic stoppage-time winner against Ghana, continuing the trend of surprise results in the tournament.
- Cape Verde veteran Ryan Mendes expressed confidence in their team, stating, "We showed tonight that we have a good team, good players, and we deserved to win."
- Egypt's coach, Rui Vitória, attributed their draw to a brief lack of concentration but remained optimistic about qualifying for the next stage.
- Ghana, a four-time champion, faced disappointment with a late defeat to Cape Verde but is expected to regroup for upcoming matches.
The first weekend of the Africa Cup of Nations brought unexpected twists and turns, setting the stage for an unpredictable and thrilling tournament.
SIGN UP TO OUR NEWSLETTER: